The Setouchi Triennale and Art Setouchi Volunteer Organization
Koebi-tai, which means “little shrimp squad,” is the name of the volunteer
group that makes the Setouchi Triennale and Art Setouchi possible. Participants
come not only from Japan, but also from many other parts of the world to help
out on different islands. If you love art, want to support this amazing
contemporary art festival, and would like to spend some time on the beautiful
islands of the Seto Inland Sea, come and join us. Everyone is welcome, young
and old, parents and children alike! There’s no age limit, and you can come
whenever and for however long suits you, even if it’s just for one day.
What Koebi-tai Volunteers Do?
Before the Triennale starts, Koebi-tai volunteers help with such vital activities as art
production and publicity. Once the Triennale starts, they help run it by manning the
visitor reception desks at each art site and supporting different Triennale events.
During the years between Triennales, Koebi-tai volunteers support Art Setouchi, a year-
round program in which selected Triennale venues are kept open to the public and
periodic events are held on different islands. Art Setouchi also helps Koebi-tai
volunteers to nurture the bonds they have made with the local people, which is an
important component of this contemporary art festival.
Activities During Art Setouchi: Off to the Islands!
Koebi-tai volunteers are still needed even when the Triennale is not in session. Their activities include:
- Manning the reception desks at permanent art sites
- Supporting island events and special occasions Publicity
- Studying together and exchanging ideas at Koebi-tai meetings
- Staffing island cafes and restaurants
- Maintaining art works
- Producing the Koebi Newspaper
Activities for the Triennale Part 1: Getting Ready
- Cleaning up abandoned homes to make art sites
- Removing art works
- Gathering materials for art works
- Helping artists to produce and install their works
Activities for the Triennale Part 2: Running the Triennale
- Visitor reception (We need over 50 people per day during the Triennale!)
- Providing information about each art site
- Helping with events
- Helping at island cafes and restaurants
- Serving as guides
To Join Koebi-tai
See the Join Koebitai page on the official Koebitai site.